A Diesel Mechanic Technician is responsible for maintaining and repairing heavy-duty diesel-powered equipment, such as trucks, buses, boats and heavy machinery i.e generator, air compressor and fire water pump engine.
Their duties include diagnosing mechanical problems, performing repairs and preventative maintenance, and conducting inspections to ensure equipment is in safe and working order.
Responsibilities of a Diesel Mechanic Technician include:
Diagnosing, repairing, testing, adjusting and commissioning:
- This includes site survey, troubleshooting issues with engines, genset, air compressor, fire water pump and others related diesel engine and other components. All finding diagnoses and condition checked must be recorded in technical report.
- To carry out DCI as per client requirement;
- Dismantle the unit system / Clean the unit system for inspection especially for DPI test and Hydro test / Inspect (Visual, Measure and NDT) for all components.
- To furnish the inspection/troubleshoot report with recommendation of next action and parts to be replaced.
- To carry out Sub-assembly and Complete Assembly of rotating equipment not limited to the industrial/marine engine, genset, air compressor, fire water pump and others related diesel engine.
- To conduct the adjustment and fine tuning of rotating equipment including pre-startup and full running operation with;
- Ensure all systems calibrated and assemble to spec. / Ensure safety test conducted as per application spec. / Internal test – engine/genset to spec. / FAT with client.
Performing preventative maintenance:
- This involves conducting regular inspections and servicing equipment according to manufacturer recommendations and industry standards to prevent breakdowns and ensure optimal performance.
Conducting safety inspections:
- Responsible for inspecting equipment to ensure it meets safety regulations and identifying any potential safety hazards.
Keeping accurate records:
- Responsible to record document all repairs and maintenance performed, including parts used, labor hours, and any other relevant information.
Ordering and managing inventory:
- Responsible for ordering parts and managing inventory levels to ensure necessary supplies are always available.
Communicating with customers and co-workers:
- Communicate with customers to explain repairs and maintenance needed, and with co-workers to coordinate work schedules and tasks.
Requirements for Diesel Mechanic Technicians typically include:
- Candidates need to have a strong understanding of diesel engines and other mechanical systems to effectively diagnose and repair issues.
- This job requires standing, bending, and lifting heavy equipment, so candidates need to be physically fit.
Attention to detail:
- Candidates must pay close attention to detail to accurately diagnose and repair equipment. Must be able to write technical report.
- Candidates need to be able to communicate effectively with customers and co-workers to explain repairs and maintenance needed.
- Candidates must be familiar with safety regulations and be able to identify potential hazards to ensure equipment is safe to operate.
Certification & Experience:
- Preferably with minimum 3 years of experience.
- SKM Level 3 / Diploma related to Internal Combustion Engine, Automotive, Heavy Industrial Equipment, Mechanical & Electrical Service Maintenance.
- Familiar with overhauling and troubleshooting diesel/gas engine such as CAT, DDC, Perkins, Cummins, MAN and Yanmar.